Ask A Curator with Nishi

Last month, our curatorial team participated in the global event, #AskaCurator. In case you missed it, here's our Exhibitions Manager and Assistant Curator, Nishi, answering some of your questions.

How have you done your job during the pandemic?

Thankfully, much of my job can be done in front of a computer, so I was able to work from home on my laptop. When it came time to install our latest exhibition, The Great Divide, in July, I was onsite with an extremely limited group of people. We were able to install the show safely with strict protocols in place, and the project has turned out to be a great success.

What is your museum doing to diversity your collection?

This is such an important question. We are carefully reviewing what gaps we have in our existing collection and dedicating funds to finding artefacts that represent histories and stories that we may have not collected in the past. We have also begun building relationships with individuals who are well versed in footwear fashion, as well as diversity and inclusion. These allies are helping us find footwear and designers whose work would be a great addition to the museum. This is really important work and we are committed to diversifying what it is that we collect and display.

Got any advice for someone who wants to become a curator?

You have to be flexible. You might have an academic speciality but the institution that you work in might require you to curate exhibitions on unrelated topics. Having excellent research and writing skills will be an asset no matter what type of exhibition you end up curating.

Do you have any objects that you don’t know anything about?

Absolutely! We have a collection of over 14 000 artefacts from all around the world and it is impossible to know everything about ever pair of shoes. This is one of the reasons why it is so exciting to work with this collection – there are so many opportunities for research and we are always learning something new.

What dream object is missing from your collection?

I would love to add a pair of shoes from Sabyasachi Mukherjee and Christian Louboutin’s 2017 collaboration. They are both prolific designers and used a mix of cultural influences to create a beautiful line of men’s and women’s footwear. I have been searching for these for awhile so if anyone has any tips on how to locate them, please let us know!

What jobs other than ‘curator’ can someone do in a museum?

There are numerous jobs in the museum! You could work in education, public relations and media, administration, collections and conservation, and visitor’s services.

What’s the biggest misconception about curators?

One of the biggest misconceptions about curators is that when we are selecting artefacts for an exhibition, our choices are made based on aesthetics. While many curators do consider which objects ‘go together,’ there are numerous factors which impact how we pick artefacts. The most important factor is how well these objects tell the desired stories.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Braces Price in Pakistan and find more details of gifts like braces for your loves ones. Share to others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.

      Delete
  2. THE BEST LOVE SPELL CASTER ALL OVER THE WORLD {EMAIL: ifadesolutionspell31@gmail.com}
    Hey everyone, I'm from Australia ,I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored & my husband is back after he left me and our 2 kids for another woman. After 8 years of marriage, me and my husband have been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to Holland to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. I tried to be strong just for the kids but I could not control the pains that tormented my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because I was really in love with my husband. Every day and night I think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that DR,IFADE can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he missed me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day, our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to DR,IFADE. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that DR,IFADE is a real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.
    Here's his contact: Email him at: ifadesolutionspell31@gmail.com , you can also add him onWhats-app: +2349060120490 OR +1(551) 333-5249.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to Join Pakistan Army after FSc and Talibilm provide all news related to study and you can also get info about latest results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I got an xmas loan

    My name is Michelle Holt residing in Louisville Kentucky, I want to say a very big thank you to Mr Richard Jame Dyson of Jennard Investments Limited for granting me a xmas loan of $42,000 at 3% interest rate through their xmas loan program that is current running. You too can get your xmas and business loan from them as well. Contact them on email: jennardinvestmentslimited@outlook.com & cell phone number +1(484) 292–4513.

    ReplyDelete